A holistic overview of a career of service
Service to the Profession
American Library Association
- Information Technology Advisory Committee (ITAC)
- Member, Sept. 2022 to June 2024. Representative from Reference & User Services Association (RUSA).
- This top-level committee advises the ALA on the priorities and strategies of all ALA technology products and services, provides oversight for major ALA technology transitions, and advocates for universal access and superior user experience with ALA online content and services. Also assists with development of ALA tech policy, acts as communication channel on tech issues, and help ALA test tech products and services.
- RUSA Leadership Council
- Member, spring 2023-present.
- Advises, in a non-voting capacity, the RUSA Board of Directors on RUSA goals, objectives, priorities, and policies. Member as RUSA representative to ITAC.
- Accessibility Assembly of ALA
- Co-chair, July 2023-June 2024. Member through June 2025.
- Appointed as representative from RUSA.
- Committee advances ALA’s commitment to the accessibility of library and information services for all.
- Managing Emerging Technologies Committee of RUSA
- Member, July 2022 to June 2023.
- Foster discussion, programming, and the development of tools and resources related to the management of emerging technology projects in libraries.
Academic Library Association of Ohio
- Technical, Electronic, and Digital Services Interest Group (TEDSIG)
- Co-chair July 2021 to June 2023.
- Creating Radical Hope: Artistic and Speculative Library Responses to Climate Change
- Planning committee and workshop volunteer. October 2021-January 2022
- Speculative Futures on Post-Pandemic Libraries
- Editorial assistant for digital project TEDSIG of ALAO. Summer 2021
- Code4Lib National Conference website committee
- Design team for 2022 conference November 2021 to February 2022.
- Accessibility tester and documentarian for 2021 conference November 2020-March 2021
- Weave: Journal of Library User Experience
- Member of advisory board, 2019-present
- Open-access, peer-reviewed journal for library user experience practitioners published by University of Michigan Publishing.
- Code4Lib Midwest Conference Planning Committee
- Committee member for event planning, scheduling, budgeting, and website creation/maintenance. 2018
- Tri-State College Library Cooperative Board of Directors
- member, September 2015 to June 2016
- Reference Division Board of Directors of the Indiana Library Federation.
- Member, 2008-2010
Service to my University and Libraries
Service to Miami University and Libraries (2018-present)
- Teaching IMS 222: Interaction Design and Development (Spring 2020 to Fall 2022): 3-credit course for the Emerging Technologies in Business and Design department.
- Lived Experiences: Race at Miami digital history project (October 2022 to present): member of web development team for this Boldly Creative funded project. Specialized in information architecture, content management, and accessibility on the project.
- Co-facilitator, Strategic Initiatives Virtual Spaces and Services (Spring 2022)
- RFP Review Committee for MUAccess Center’s Accessibility Management Software (November-December 2021)
- Library Games Night Committee (summer 2018 to present)
- Library Accessibility Committee (Fall 2022 to present): Web services team representative.
- Strategic Initiatives Professional Development (AY 2020-21)
- Library Web Services Committee (2018 to 2020): Co-facilitator of this inter-departmental group that advised the web services team on team projects.
- Discovery Service Improvement Committee (Fall 2022 to present): Member of inter-campus team working to improve our Ebsco Discovery System experience-performance.
- Search committees for Discovery Librarian (summer 2022), Web Services Librarian (spring 2019), and Social Sciences Librarian (spring 2018).
- Faculty advisor for IMS452 Senior Degree Project (April-May 2021)
- Volunteering at university and library events such as the National Civil Right Conference, search committee candidate visits, Late Night Breakfast, Explore King, Talawanda Science Week, Faculty Welcome Day, Graduate Student Welcome Night, Move-In Miami, and Copyright Conference
Service to Montgomery County Community College and Libraries (2010-2017)
- All-College Student Life Committee
- Chair, September 2016 to December 2017
- All-College Distance Education Committee
- Chair, September 2011 to May 2014.
- Member, September 2010 to May 2011.
- President’s Leadership Council
- Member, September 2012 to May 2014; September 2016 to December 2017.
- Middle States 2015 Self-Study Steering Committee
- Member of Steering Committee for our college’s Middle States Commission on Higher Education accreditation preparatory self study.
- Co-chair of working group examining our college’s standing against the commission’s Standard 13 “Related Educational Activities: The institution’s programs or activities that are characterized by particular content, focus, location, mode of delivery, or sponsorship meet appropriate standards.”
- Commencement faculty volunteer.
- Faculty marshal in 2017
- Reader in 2011 and 2013
- Student marshal in 2012
- Student Commencement Prizes Committees, Spring 2017.
- Sabbatical Committee, Spring 2016
Service to the Community
- Oxford Farmers Market, Oxford, Ohio.
- Website, social media, and online market consultant/volunteer, 2019 to present.
- Friends of the Oxford Lane Library, Oxford, Ohio
- Board of directors, 2019 to 2021.
- Buck County Free Library, Doylestown, Pa. 2016-2017
- Technology volunteer, assisting patrons weekly with technology issues.
- Technology Consultant on purchase of “creation stations” for their teen patrons — Macintosh computer systems for editing images, sound and video.
- Volunteer web services in Madison, Indiana
- Developed websites for nonprofits in southern Indiana including the Jefferson County Historical Society, the Switzerland County Public Library.
- Madison Main Street Program, Madison, Indiana
- Board member of downtown economic revitalization non-profit.
- Downtown Madison Historic District Board
- Former member and chair of this municipal committee charged with reviewing structural and appearance changes in Historic Landmark District structures.