Blue Bell, Pennsylvania :: Serving 12,000 students in suburban Philadelphia.
- Emerging Technologies Librarian/assistant professor
February 2010 to January 2015 and July 2016 to December 2017.
- Director of Libraries (interim posting)
January 2015 to June 2016.
- Design and maintain library web services (LibGuides CMS 2.0) to emphasize clarity of use for new students. Work included maintaining and customizing research databases.
- Customized function and appearance of library’s online catalog (Sirsi Enterprise and Sirsi eLibrary).
- Planned and implemented library technology services and workflows including online chat reference, intercampus loan, and library computer lab services.
- Collaborated with college archivist and faculty to create digital projects for an historic silent film and college newspaper archives. Coordinated web development, digitization, and grant writing.
- Curate technology and exhibit design for unique multimedia gallery housed in our library.
Instruction and Reference Services
- Teach information literacy workshops customized to faculty and student needs.
- Create multimedia tutorials and LibGuides for online students.
- Provide one-on-one research and technology assistance and training for students, faculty, administration, staff, and community members in person, by phone, and online chat.
- Assist faculty in researching and assessing open educational resources.
- Outreach and collection development for online learning, STEM, and Business divisions.
- Served as interim director during college reorganization. Director-level position replaced by division dean-level position.
- Manage day-to-day operations and facilities of libraries on two campuses.
- Supervise, coordinate, and evaluate staff of 20 including full-time and adjunct librarians and technical services.
- Coordinated staff transition during a large cohort of employee retirement maintaining staff cohesion and communication while restructuring duties and procedures for the new environment.
- Involved in hiring eight new staff members from circulation staff to a new librarian.
- Coordinated major projects and writing library policy and procedures including creation of a new circulation desk manual.
- Directly managed $265,00 operating budget (balance of $2 million budget pre-set as personnel/benefits).
- Chair, All-College Student Life Committee, September 2016 to present
- Chair, All-College Distance Education Committee, September 2011 to June 2014.
- Duties include chairing meetings, coordinating agenda and committee workflow, and lead editor on policy and documents emerging from the committee.
- Member of the President’s Leadership Council and Shared Governance Committee September 2012 to May 2014; September 2016 to present.
- These committees provide a final 365-degree review of college policy prior to review by the college board of trustees and coordinate the college’s administration/faculty shared governance process.
- Member of the college’s 2015 Middle States Self-Study Steering Committee and co-chaired a self-study working group examining our college’s standing against the commission’s Standard 13 “Related Educational Activities: The institution’s programs or activities that are characterized by particular content, focus, location, mode of delivery, or sponsorship meet appropriate standards”.
- Conducted research and writing benefiting the Gates Foundation-funded study “Barriers to Adoption of Online Learning Systems in Higher Education.” Ithaka S+R conducted the study that combined a broad set of interviews at colleges across the nation with in-depth studies at five colleges including Montgomery County Community College.
- Commencement faculty volunteer. Reader in 2011 and 2013, student marshal in 2012, and faculty marshal in 2017.
- Member of Sabbatical Committee, Spring 2016, and Student Commencement Prizes Committees, Spring 2017.
- Contributed web development skills to other departments.
Promotions and Honors
- Promoted to assistant professor, January 2014.
- Tenured in September 2016.
- Awarded a 2014 John and Suzanne Roueche Excellence Award for exceptional institutional leadership. This is a national award through the League of Innovation in Community Colleges alliance as nominated by Montgomery County Community College.
- Nominated for Innovation of the Year Award with college archivist Lawrence Greene for our Betzwood digital history project in 2012.
- Digital history projects with Mr. Greene resulted in interviews with our college alumni magazine and with our college president’s radio show.